06 July 2012

West Papua-A Model of Freedom and its Undesirable Price

When West Papua becomes free and independent they will be more patriotic and nationalistic than Papua New Guineans can ever be.

Because of the blood they are shedding for their Freedom. And with the passion that ensues they will advance faster than us...without losing sight of their heritage the way we have.

I shed a tear as I see the pictures and read the stories of their struggle.

Sometimes I wish we should have gone through such pain to have our freedom. Because we are now a nation of ungrateful citizens. But I could never wish for such pain on any people. I pray your freedom comes soon.

God Bless You West Papua, I'm literally crying as I write this. I was in Indonesia recently and saw the luxury. Maybe it needs you maybe it doesn't. But it surely doesn't deserve you.

Thanks to all those trying to wake us simple people from our slumber, helping us see the price of freedom that our Melanesian brothers and sisters on the other side of this great Island of ours, are paying.

I have started an organization in PNG to awaken patriotism in Papua New Guineans. I don't know if we can ever succeed as we can't look back to a history that's iced by the blood and sweat of our fathers and forefathers. But we take for granted our freedom. We have squandered it and defecated on it. We sell it cheaply and rubbish our fellow citizens. We cheat our State. Maybe the golden platter we took ours on is not so golden after all? Maybe we're just only now paying for our freedom with our vain attempts to progress without a solid sense of national identity.

West Papua-from where I have treasured brothers and sisters-needs our help. They need more than our prayers. They need our words, our walk, our stand.

I don't know what to do. I write this simply because I can write and I'm grieved by my West Papuan family's reality. Maybe the least I can do from now on is write for you. And when you stand free one day I hope I'll still be alive enough to write of it. Then I'll take a bow and say you deserve it. And you will understand your freedom, not like my countrymen and me. You will treasure it in your Melanesian hearts better than all us Melanesians can imagine.

We were born free, you're dying for it.

Yet we know not birth pangs. If there were such pains no one has told us. For we certainly can't feel it.

But oh you can West Papua. And you always will. Thus the sweetness of your victory will supersede our imported sense of self-worth and self-righteousness and misplaced values. We're still not free. We're enslaved by tunnel-vision and corrupted values.

You won't suffer our delusion. Your freedom shall be stronger. Truer.

In the words of the great George Telek, "Fridom mas kamap long West Papua"

God Bless You West Papua! And set you FREE!

Ganjiki D Wayne
Melanesian

No comments:

Post a Comment