12 November 2009

Patriotism vs Apathy

Dear Patriots,

Thank you for being interested in improving our great country.

Unfortunately a majority of people in our country a not interested in the improvement of our country. Apathy, I think, is a worse epidemic than the corruption in our country. Many of us do not really care that our country’s not being lead well or that change is needed. We seem content just to build our own empires, and live our lives.

When someone asked me why I care so much about a country that seems to care so little about its people, I say apart from my strong patriotism (and the love for mankind that God placed in us) I do have a somewhat ‘selfish’ motive. And that is that I want my children to come into, grow up and live in a better place than I currently live in. In a country where people respect each other and everyone is looking out for each other (not just wantoks), and there’s unity, and progress, and less crime, and more justice and so on...

There is a lot to be done. But people need to do it. Money and resources are tools. People decide whether they are constructive or destructive tools. And the more good people decide not to step up and use those tools constructively, the more destructive those tools become at the hands of wicked people. Corruption is a killer. But not having a care to me like a slow painful death. Apathy to me is like a doctor unwilling to treat his patient even though he has the means and ability to help...and allows that patient to die a slow painful death....

Paulo Freire said “Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral.”

I truly hope you will not wash your hands from the problems of PNG and do what you can to add value to it.

Thank you and God Bless Papua Niugini.

Heavenise week

No comments:

Post a Comment